Happy Holidays from the Santa Clarita Public Library!
All three Teen Advisory Boards participated in the Annual Gingerbread Contest sponsored by the Friends of the Santa Clarita Public Library. Be sure to join in the fun next year!
These books are “snow” good we think you should check them out over winter break!
If the answer is YES and you’re between 7th and 12th grade, the Teen Advisory Board (TAB) might just be for you!
Find out more about the perks of joining TAB at the first meeting of the school year this month. Each SCPL library has their own separate board that meets once a month. Here are the times for the first meetings at each branch:
- Valencia: Tuesday, September 5th, 5 – 6 p.m.
- Canyon Country: Friday, September 9th, 4:30 – 5:30 p.m.
- Old Town Newhall: Thursday, September 15th, 5 – 6 p.m.
We’ll fill you in on why we’re looking for teens like you and what you can expect out of your time with TAB.
Just for starters, TAB is where you can:
- Help shape teen services – plan programs that matter to you!
- Gain leadership skills – great for future jobs and college apps!
- Get your voice heard – tell us what books + movies you want to see!
- Make new friends and preview teen activities!
Intrigued? Know someone else who might be a good fit? Spread the word and come learn more with other teens at the first meeting!
More details and link to the full application available here.
Happy Holidays from the Teen Advisory Board!
Old Town Newhall Library
Search Freegal for your favorite holiday songs (or discover new ones). Download 5 FREE songs a week using your library card!
Make your voice heard! Become a part of your local Teen Advisory Board (TAB). Each branch of the Santa Clarita Library now has its own TAB. Teens in grades 7-12 are invited to submit an application to the branch of your choice.
- Help shape teen services at the library.
- Acquire leadership skills AND earn volunteer service hours.
- Interact with other Santa Clarita area teens.
- New members are always welcome!
- Enjoy snacks.
TAB meetings are held monthly during the school year, September through May (unless otherwise noted), at your local branch of the Santa Clarita Public Library. Check out the TAB page of the Teen Blog for a full schedule.
To earn service hours and be considered a TAB member, teens must:
- Complete and submit an application to your local library.
- Attend at least 3 TAB meetings per semester AND assist in at least 1 program a semester. At the end of each semester members who have met these requirements will earn 5 service hours for their participation.
TAB Application – created July 2015
The library’s Teen Advisory Board has a Goodreads account which can be searched by subject and genre. One hundred titles have been added. You’re sure to find one that intrigues! Here are some we recently added.
The library’s Teen Advisory Board (TAB) won first place in the teen category in the Friends of the Library’s first annual Gingerbread Contest. The winning house (which is currently on display at the Valencia Library), depicted Honeydukes, the candy store made famous in the Harry Potter series. Note Harry and friends made with marshmallows!