Mission: Be Eco-Friendly!!
How do you complete this mission? Simple just follow these steps and check off when you finish on your Summer Reading account!!
- Repurpose recyclables into art Make something old new again at one of our summer programs: Upcycled Crafts, Stop Motion Animation, or our Mashup Session of programs you missed!
- Just attend one of the listed programs at any branch and you have completed this step of the mission!
- Read up: Find an online article (yes, Buzzfeed counts), book (fiction or non-fiction), or magazine about any environmental issue that interests you. Climate change, endangered species, whatever floats your boat!
- Bonus to this…whatever you read counts towards your Read 5 Challenge!!
- Recycle, Reduce, Reuse. Find one way to reduce waste or make a more eco-friendly choice in your daily life. Write it below.
- Need ideas? Check out websites for different trash companies or electric companies!
One of the awesome programs this year at the library for summer reading will be an Escape Room!!
What is an Escape Room? Well an escape room is a like a live version of clue only instead of figuring out who done it, you are trying to get out based on the different clues. Players are given a set time limit to unveil the secret plot which is hidden within the room.
For this program you will be put into groups and you will have to work together to escape the room!
Times and locations:
Valencia – June 13th from 1:30 – 3:30
Newhall – June 29th from 1:30 – 3:30
Canyon Country – July 12th from 1:30 – 3:30
You’ve seen the movie…now read the book that it was based on.
Duff by Kody Keplinger — Seventeen-year-old Bianca Piper starts sleeping with Wesley Rush, a notorious womanizer who disgusts her,in order to distract her from her personal problems, and to her surprise, the two of them find they have a lot in common and are able to help each other find more productive ways to deal with their difficulties.
Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver — After she dies in a car crash, teenaged Samantha relives the day of her death over and over again until, on the seventh day, she finally discovers a way to save herself.
The 5th Wave by Richard Yancey — Cassie Sullivan, the survivor of an alien invasion, must rescue her young brother from the enemy with help from a boy who may be one of them.
Miss Peregrine’s Home For Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs — A mysterious island. An abandoned orphanage. A strange collection of peculiar photographs. A horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine‘s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its decaying bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that Miss Peregrine‘s children were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a deserted island for good reason. And somehow – impossible though it seems – they may still be alive.
Nerve by Jeanne Ryan — As a player in NERVE, an anonymous game of dares broadcast live online, high-schooler Vee is unhappy to be watched constantly but finds it exhilarating to be paired with handsome Ian taking ever riskier dares–until the stakes become too high.