Looking for a tasty summer treat? Test out these chocolate dipped ice cream cookie sandwiches to brush up on your baking skills.
Have allergies? Or looking to simplify the recipe? The cookie bars could easily be made gluten free or dairy free by subbing ingredients or using your favorite pre-made cookie dough too! Same for the ice cream :). Test it out with your favorites and let us know how your creation turns out by posting it on your social media with the #librarylife to get it featured on the home page of this blog.
To easily melt the chocolate chips (and not burn the chocolate) for the chocolate dip pour them into a microwave safe bowl or measuring cup (like a glass pyrex measuring cup) and microwave for 30 second increments. Make sure to take it out and stir it in between each time. Once you see that the chocolate chips are almost completely melted when you take it out to stir, its done (should take somewhere between 1 minute to 1 minute 30 seconds depending on your microwave).
- 4 cups vanilla ice cream, slightly melted
- For the chocolate chip cookies:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- For the chocolate dip:
- 2 cups bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup puffed rice
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Spread softened ice cream into a baking dish lined with parchment paper. Smooth out to about 1 inch thick. Freeze until solid.
- Mix together flour, baking soda, salt, butter, both sugars, egg, and vanilla extract. Add chocolate chips, and mix well.
- Spread cookie dough onto another parchment-lined baking pan. Smooth out the top.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove cookies and cool to room temperature. Cut into 8 pieces, then halve each cookie. Set aside.
- Remove the ice cream, and cut into 8 pieces. Put back into freezer.
- Prepare the chocolate. Melt the chocolate and mix in the puffed rice. Set aside.
- Take a rectangle of ice cream, and sandwich one end between two cookies. Dip the other end in the chocolate puffed rice.
- Set the dipped ice cream sandwich on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Freeze until solid.
- Serve and enjoy!